We love our local suppliers!
The Kootenay Co-op has a long history of true support for local vendors that goes back to our inception in 1975 and we are excited to build on that commitment as we expand our co-operative business.
We are forcasting that our sales will almost double in the next 5 years! We affirm to our members and community that we will only consider ourselves successful in our growth if our local suppliers keep pace with, or exceed, our own growth rates.
“Purchasing from True Local suppliers is an investment in the future of our food security and the economy of the area that immediately surrounds us. Every effort will be made to support agricultural and food processing initiatives in our area that are in line with our Buying Guidelines and values.”*
-*Kootenay Co-op Buying Guidelines, July 2013
How do we support our Local Suppliers?
- subsidizing advertising and marketing programs
- accommodating variable supply rates
- consistent and reliable business mentoring (not just sugar-coated advice!)
- sales reports and estimates on potential purchasing you can use in your business plan
- attendance at local supplier events and celebrations
True Local Suppliers: the Back Bone of Our Business
We launched our “True Local” campaign in June 2013 in response to the CFIA broadening the definition of local to include anything in the province and 50 km’s beyond provincial boundaries. We consider the following area “True Local”:
- West to Grand Forks and Midway
- East to the Creston Valley and the East Kootenays to Invermere and Fernie
- North West to Nakusp including Arrow Lakes region
- North East including Kaslo, Meadow Creek, Trout Lake, Argenta and Johnson’s Landing
- South to the US border
Starting a new business and thinking of becoming a Co-op Supplier? Come see us!
Starting up a new business can be both exciting and kinda daunting. We will help in any way we can. We’ve helped hundreds of small businesses get their products to market over the decades and have lots of resources we can share.
Interested in getting more information about becoming a Co-op Supplier? Please contact our True Local Coordinator!
Or come and see us directly at the Co-op!