The Kootenay Co-op’s Board of Directors is comprised of 7 elected co-op owners who serve the co-op for two-year terms.
Co-op Boards are elected representatives of our member-owners, in much the same way our Mayor and Council are elected representatives of Nelson residents. They are responsible for guiding and safeguarding the Co-op’s mission and long term sustainability.
Specifically, the Board is responsible for key governance issues including:
- ensuring the organization’s financial viability
- articulating the mission, vision and values
- setting the strategic direction
- the appointment, selection and performance management of the General Manager
- ensuring that the Kootenay Co-op maintains a leadership role in the natural foods industry and co-operative movement.
They meet monthly in addition to contributing to a variety of Board Committees including:
- Member Outreach Committee
- Board Development Committee
- Finance Committee
- Policy Committee
- Ad hoc committees as required
Our Board brings a wealth and variety of backgrounds and skills to the Board and share a passion for the Kootenay Co-op and the cooperative business model.
Want more information about our elections process and Board service? Learn more about Elections and Candidacy.