Elections 2017 Timeline & Process
Deadline for nominations for Board of Directors is May 31.
Click on the link for the Board Candidate Package 2017 (PDF)
Click here for the Candidate Application Form 2017 (PDF)
Candidate information will be available online and at Customer Service in early August.
Meet-the-Candidates forum (date TBD).
Pre-AGM ballots available for in-store voting by September 1.
Election at Annual General Meeting on September 2017.
Board Candidate Requirements
In order to be deemed eligible to stand for election, potential candidates must:
- Be a fully-subscribed member in good standing of the Kootenay Co-op at least 30 calendar days prior to the nomination
- Candidates must be at least 18 years of age as of September 1 of the election year
- Commit to at least one two-year term
- Formally declare their willingness to stand for election and return their application before May 31, 2017
- Exhibit a commitment to the Mission and Vision of the Kootenay Co-op and be willing to represent the interests of the membership
- Attend at least one regular board meeting prior to declaring your candidacy before June 30, 2017
- Attend an informal interview with a current Board Director and General Manager
- Disclose any conflicts of interest and be able to sign the Board of Directors Statement of Agreement
Co-operatives: Economic Democracy in Action!
From its humble beginnings in 1975 as a buying club in the Slocan Valley, 40 years later the Kootenay Co-op has grown into a thriving social enterprise with over 14,000 members and annual sales in excess of $15M.
Mission-driven and guided by the international cooperative principles, the Kootenay Co-op plays an ever-increasing role in the social, economic and environmental sustainability of our region. We are a significant retailer of local/regional foods and products in the area, acting as the sole or primary retailer for dozens of small businesses. The Co-op provides a right livelihood for over 160 employees and supports a wide variety of community groups and non-profit organizations through our outreach programs.
Owned & Governed by people like YOU!
Similar to any corporation, the Co-op’s Board of Directors works on behalf of our owners. What sets the Kootenay Co-op apart, however, is that in a consumer co-op like ours, the owners are people you know — your friends, neighbours, family and colleagues! With good food being an essential (and delicious) necessity of our daily lives, stewarding a member-owned grocery store like the Co-op is a one-of-a-kind opportunity in Canada.
Board Directors play a significant role in the future well-being of our community and are part of a wonderful model for how a community can democratically take control of its food supply.