Who should apply?
If you have a positive attitude, love to help people, enjoy working as part of a team, have a flexible work schedule (we are open 7 days/week), and want to work in the heart of the Nelson community, then the Kootenay Co-op may be the place for you!
Please note that we often hire new staff on an on-call basis. To start, your schedule may not be consistent and you will be asked to fill in on short notice. Almost all of our staff work some evening and weekend shifts.
As an employer we strive to enhance each person’s work experience in a variety of ways:
- We value work-life balance, continuous improvement, and maintaining a friendly work environment where each staff member can get involved in making the Co-op a great place to shop and work.
- We are committed to providing training and educational opportunities to our staff in a safe, supportive and friendly work environment.
- We provide a great benefits package, including a staff discount, Group RRSP plan, Group Benefits plan, great vacation pay and even a paid day off for your birthday!
Not to mention the satisfaction of working in a co-operative environment surrounded by great food and great people!
How to Apply
- Download and fill out our Employment Application Form or pick up a copy at Customer Service.
- Attach your résumé and cover letter, including 2-3 references.
- Visit the Customer Service desk on any Tuesday or Thursday between 4-5pm and introduce yourself to the HR Manager, Tory or another member of the hiring team. If these times don’t work for you, drop off your application at Customer Service at any other time.
How long will my application be on file?
Your application will kept on file for 90 days and you are free to submit updates at any time. If it has been more than 90 days since you last applied, please submit a new application package. If suitable positions become available we may contact you with some questions or request an interview.
We sincerely thank you for the time and effort that goes into each application! Due to the number of applications we receive, we are unable to follow up with each applicant. You will be contacted by phone or email if you are selected for an interview.
Why work at the Kootenay Co-op?
Employees of the Co-op are truly unique. Our friendly, talented staff have created a culture of inclusiveness and teamwork, along with a passion for bringing organic, sustainable food to the Nelson area. Employees receive a store discount, health and dental benefits, RRSP matching and clerk-level wages starting at $13 per hour.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the Kootenay Country Store Cooperative to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of their race, colour, religion, gender, age, national origin, disabilities, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, military status or any other characteristic protected by provincial or federal law.
Communications and Marketing Manager
The Kootenay Country Store Co-operative (Kootenay Co-op) is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Communications and Marketing Manager who is passionate about community, natural foods and sustainable local economies.
The Communications and Marketing Manager will focus on member recruitment and engagement through effective member communications and relations, brand management, community outreach and education. The successful candidate will also oversee the in-house creative team in the development and implementation of advertising campaigns, in-store signage and merchandising and production of communications and marketing materials as needed to support in-house departments in achieving their sales targets. The support, recruitment, continued engagement and promotion of True Local program members will be another key focus.
In addition, this role will foster a service-oriented, creative team dynamic that spreads enthusiasm for the Co-op’s values to both internal and external audiences.
- Develop annual holistic marketing plans and campaigns to include a variety of traditional and social media, local print, television, radio, in-house publications, outreach events, community donations linked to in-house marketing and promotional activities
- Oversee positive member relations through social media interaction, email/phone communication and in-person response to suggestions and complaints
- Oversee the allocation of community sponsorships and donations
- Respond to all media inquiries and represent the Kootenay Co-op to the media and external organizations
- Supporting the Marketing Coordinator to oversee the in-house creative team and to liaise and support department managers to create impactful in–store signage, promotions and marketing campaigns, and merchandising
- Cooperate with the outreach function to plan and execute community events such as cooking classes, Co-op café gatherings, seasonal special events, etc.
- Support the True Local Coordinator in the recruitment, engagement and promotion of True Local Suppliers and their products
- Ensure brand consistency throughout internal and external marketing channels
- Provide supportive leadership to the marketing team with effective training, planning, delegation and development opportunities
Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years’ experience in marketing communications and/or public relations (retail marketing experience an asset)
- Diploma or degree in marketing, communications, public relations, business or similar
- Experience planning and executing events (sourcing venues and vendors, creating an advertising plan, engaging enthusiastic staff and volunteers, overseeing programming, reporting on success, etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading a high-functioning team in a support department capacity
- A passion for mentoring and developing talented team members
- The ability to manage projects, deadlines and competing priorities while delegating effectively
- The ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), website administration and Adobe InDesign
To Apply: email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Closing Date: March 19, 2017