These great tips will help you save money, eat well & reduce waste!
BULK IS BEST!!
- Become a member if you haven’t already so that you can benefit from member-exclusive sales, case discounts, patronage refunds, and 10% back on transactions over $300.
- Look for sale items or if you purchase an item regularly, buy it by the case to get a discount. Speak to Customer Service if you’d like to buy a case of something that you can’t find on the shelf- it may be available in the back or we can special order it for you.
- Shop in bulk. The bulk bins offer great bargains on a wide range of items from whole grains to hemp oil to feta cheese. Bulk spices are significantly cheaper than those prepackaged in little glass jars. The Wellness department also carries bulk essential oils, soaps, Epsom salts, and more.
- Bring your own container for bulk or deli items to save the cost of purchasing a new one.
- Eat seasonally. When it comes to fresh food, eat in season. Berries will be cheaper (and more delicious) in the summer. Apples will be cheaper in September than in June (when the previous year’s crop is diminished and they are coming from as far as New Zealand).
- Stock up on and preserve the abundance of fall harvest! Dry, jam, can, or freeze to prepare for the winter months when fresh produce can be expensive.
- Make smaller, more frequent shopping trips. An estimated 122 kg of fruits and vegetables per person was wasted in Canada at the retail and consumer level (Statistics Canada Food Statistics 2010). Prevent food spoilage by making smaller, more frequent shopping trips. This will help you to use up all your perishables before they expire.
- Create a shopping list with quantities will also help streamline your purchases to what you really need.
- Bring a shopping kit. This will help you purchase bulk items without paying for new containers and also reduces the waste created by packaging, which costs all of us! If you’re a member, every time you bring your own container, you’re entered to win a monthly draw for a $25 gift card!