8 Bean Soup
- 1/2 cup 8 bean mixture
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced potato
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed
- 4 cups water or stock
- Soak 8 bean mixture in 3 cups of water for at least 6 hours.
- Discard water and rinse thoroughly . Set aside.
- Using olive oil, sauté onion and garlic in a medium pot for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until onions are soft.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 50-60 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add salt, adjust seasoning and serve.
(Makes 4 servings)
– Kootenay Co-op Kitchen[fbcomments]