- 4 cups cooked pinto bean flakes or mashed, cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. cumin seed, lightly toasted
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp. unsulphured molasses
- 4 large tomatoes
- juice of one lemon
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup corn or peanut oil
- 1/2 lb. grated sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 lb sharp cheese, grated
- In a 2 litre saucepan, place the beans, water, onion, garlic, cumin seed, peppers, molasses, and tomatoes and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the lemon juice, chili powder, and salt.
- While the beans are still hot, add the oil and grated cheese.
- Mash or blend until smooth. It’s ready!
Serve with your favorite vegetable sticks or tortilla chips.
Credit: Submitted by Park Cowin of Glade Mountain Farm.