A very light crusted pie with melted cheese, cooked onions and bits of bacon that combine well together with a crisp topping of flour, eggs and spices that make this quiche so delicious.
For the crust
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 cup Lard, chilled
- 10 Tbsp. Ice water
For the filling
- 1 Large onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup bacon, baked in oven for 15′ at 400°F and crumbled
- 1 cup Light cream
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Dry ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Chili powder
- 4 Eggs
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F
2. Chill lard in freezer compartment for 15 minutes before adding to flour mixture.
3. In a medium size bowl combine flour, salt and chilled lard together, Cut lard with a pastry blender to the size of a small pea.
4. When mixture resembles fine granules slowly add ice water a tablespoon at a time until mixture comes together and forms a round ball.
5. On a lightly floured surface roll out dough with a rolling pin to a size of 9″ in diameter to fit a 9″ pie plate.
6. Crimp edges of pastry and cut off excess pastry around the edges of pie plate. Set aside.
8. Assemble cheese in the bottom of the crust in the pie plate
9. Chop onion and fry in 2 Tbsp. of butter until translucent and tender
10. Spread cooked onion while still warm over grated cheese covering the entire bottom of pie plate
11. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over onion and smooth over the mixture evenly in pie plate.
12. In a large mixing bowl combine cream and eggs together, beat with a wire whisk until light and creamy.
13. In a small bowl mix flour, chilli powder, ginger and b. powder all together. Blend well.
14. Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and continue to beat with a wire whisk until all ingredients are mixed well and batter is smooth.
15. Pour batter over onion, bacon and cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until crust is risen and top is lightly browned.
Recipe submitted by Alan Brown[fbcomments]