Ginger & Cherry Macaroons
- 2 cups coarsely shredded coconut
- 2 cups shredded coconut 1 tin (415g)
- sweetened condensed skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruit
- 125g hazelnuts, crushed (OR your favourite nuts)
- 90g (3oz) glace (candied) cherries, halved
- 90g (3oz) chopped preserved ginger in syrup
OR 1 teaspoon ground (powdered) ginger
1. Turn the oven on.
2. In a large bowl, stir everything except the condensed milk.
3. Add the condensed milk and mix thoroughly.
4. Dollop teaspoonfuls of the macaroons mixture on to a non-stick baking tray. Bake for 145 C (300 F) until slightly golden – about 25 minutes.
Macaroons burn easily, so watch them for the last five minutes.
6. Turn off oven and leave the macaroons in oven for another half an hour. (That stops them from going soggy.) .
7. Leave the macaroons on the baking tray to cool before putting on a cooling rack.
– Kootenay Co-op Kitchen[fbcomments]