High Protein Energy Balls
Choc-full of protein and nutrients, these make a sweet, high-energy snack.
- 1/2 cup ground unhulled sesame seeds
- 1 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup ground chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 cup ground cashews
- ½ – 1 cup* carob or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup spirulina or chlorella
- ½ cup almond butter and/or cashew butter
- 1 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 – 1 ½* cups liquid sweetener: honey, brown rice syrup, (warming them to a less viscous state can help the mixing process), or agave
- 4 cups puffed millet and/or quinoa
- Put dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a strong spoon and a table knife once it gets really thick.
- Add raisins, nut butter, liquid sweetener, and puffed cereal, mixing as you go.
- Add extra powder or liquid sweetener as required to make a firm, non-sticky consistency.
- Rolling these into balls can be a little time consuming – I suggest setting up some entertainment or use as an opportunity for meditation-in-action. Keep a damp cloth for cleaning hands as needed for interruptions.
- Keep cool in a closed container.
- Makes at least 40 large balls.
– Kootenay Co-op Kitchen