Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus
A slightly sweet hummus made from roasted butternut squash, roasted garlic, and chickpeas.
Yield: approximately 1.5 cups
For roasting squash and garlic:
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 small bulb of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4-5 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt, depending on taste
To roast the squash and garlic:
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190°C)
- Peel squash and cut into 1 inch cubes. Discard seeds.
- Spread squash onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, to taste. Drizzle olive oil over garlic bulb and wrap in tin foil.
- Roast squash and wrapped garlic bulb in oven until the squash is cooked through, approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove squash from oven and allow to cool.
Increase oven to 400 °F (200°C)and continue to roast garlic bulb for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until the cloves are soft and starting to brown. Remove from oven.
- Add 1 cup of the roasted squash, 4-5 roasted garlic cloves, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, paprika, and salt to a food processor. Begin with 1/2 tsp of salt and increase according to taste.
- Blend until smooth. If a thinner consistency is desired, add water 1 tbsp at a time.
To serve, drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the hummus and sprinkle with paprika.
Recipe submitted by Brooke Johnson[fbcomments]