May is Fair Trade month.
- Fair Trade is about better prices, decent working conditions and fair terms of trade for producers.
- It’s about supporting the development of thriving farmer and worker communities that have more control over their futures and protecting the environment in which they live and work.
- Fair trade is about sustainable farming, environmental protection and transparency.
- Fair Trade is an alternative approach based on partnership; one between those who grow our food and those who consume it.
- Fair Trade’s vision is a world in which all producers can enjoy secure and sustainable livelihoods, fulfill their potential and decide on their own futures.
Learn more about Fair Trade Month and Fairtrade Canada by going to their website: http://fairtrade.ca/
Peru Trip Essay Contest
This month, we’ll be publishing 1 or 2 staff essays each week about what organic and fair trade mean to the author personally, and what they mean to the cocoa industry. The winner of this essay contest wins a trip to Peru!
They will have the opportunity see what Fair Trade looks like in action, paid for by La Siembra Co-operative (owners of Camino) with support from Kootenay Co-op and the Acopagro Farmer Co-operative!
The essay contest winner will be announced to the public on May 29. To learn more about the details of the contest, click here
To read the essays, follow the links below:
Peru Trip Contest Essay #1 – Sam A.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #2 – Alexandria B.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #3 – Reuben G.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #4 – Cassandra U.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #5 – Laticia C.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #6 – Alyssa N.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #7 – Jolene M.
Peru Trip Contest Essay #8 – Shannon M.