Organization of the Month: Freedom Quest
Vision: All youth are supported in choosing their own path and are supported in growing up to be healthy members of their communities.
The Kootenay Co-op Organization of the Month for April is Freedom Quest. They have been operating in the West Kootenay Boundary Region for 20 years, offering support to youth and families who have been negatively impacted by substance use. Freedom Quest services and programming are always free, community-based, client-centred, low-barrier, confidential, voluntary and non-judgmental. Examples of this programming includes:
- Youth substance use counselling services
- Regional concurrent disorders clinician
- Regional alcohol and drug day treatment program (RADD); next intake is April 24
- Therapeutic recreation programming, which uses recreation as a vehicle for practicing communication and healthy attachment behaviour with outdoor activities such as canoeing, biking, hiking, etc as the backdrop
- Bike shop program, which pairs youth with mentors and offers an activity-based therapeutic program through mountain biking and bike repair/maintenance; May intake is full, August intake applications due in July
- Freedom Quest is currently hiring a Bike Shop Program Coordinator. Check out the position posting here.
- and, Presentations and workshops
Such programs offer these youth a chance to experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, prevent further adversity, build positive relationships and develop the confidence and skills to lead happy and fulfilling lives.
Donate at the tills: anytime in April, you can add a donation of $2 or more to your grocery bill or you can drop cash donations in the Change for Change collection boxes at the tills. You can also donate online through their website here.
Freedom Quest gets every penny.
Learn more on their website or talk to Freedom Quest representatives in front of the Co-op this weekend April 5th and 6th or later this month on the 13th or 20th.