Roasted Corn Blinis with Cold Smoked Salmon Lox
I love cold smoked salmon all by itself, but for a real treat, I enjoy making Roasted Corn Blinis to accompany these treasures from the deep! With a dollop of chive crème fraiche or sour cream you have yourself an elegant canapé or appetizer. Serves 6-8 people.
-Chris, Deli Manager
- 1 1/2 cups organic all purpose flour (375ml)
- 1 tablespoon organic granulated cane sugar (15ml)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (2.5ml)
- 1 organic whole egg
- 2 tablespoons non-gmo vegetable oil (30ml) + an additional 2 tablespoons
- 1 cup organic 2% milk (250ml)
- 1/2 cup organic corn kernels, fresh or frozen (125ml)
- 1 tablespoon organic chives, (15ml) – sliced
- 1 cup Liberte Crème Fraiche (250ml)
- tablespoon organic chives, (15ml) – sliced on the bias
- 20 pieces of prepared Wild Harvest’s Cold Smoked Keta Salmon, thinly sliced (approx. 350 grams)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cut organic chives and plucked blossoms (optional garnish)
- 2 cups baby arugula
- When using a cob of corn start by scraping all of the corn from the ear. Place kernels on a non stick baking sheet and broil until the edges begin to brown, set aside to cool.
- Combine crème fraiche and chives and refrigerate.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and create a well in the centre.
- Mix the egg, milk and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and mix gradually into the dry ingredients.
- When smooth, fold in the cooled corn kernels and chopped chives. Let rest for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat a non stick fry pan on medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of oil and heat.
- With a tablespoon, ladle the batter into the heated pan, about 4 cm in diameter (just like pancakes, but smaller). When the blini starts to bubble evenly across the top surface flip and cook until both sides are golden brown. Repeat until all the batter has been cooked.
- Allow blinis to cool. Place cooled blinis on a plate and add the desired sliced salmon lox and top with a half a teaspoon of crème fraiche. Garnish with the extra chives, plucked blossoms and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Serve with a nice bouquet of baby arugula. Enjoy!
-Kootenay Co-op Kitchen