- 2 cups wheat or kamut flour or 2 1/4 cups whole spelt flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt & nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar cane juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup water, milk or soymilk
- 1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar cane juice
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon & nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease muffin tins.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Stir in the chopped apple.
- Combine the egg, water and melted butter.
- Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Do not overmix.
- Spoon into prepared muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Combine the final three ingredients and sprinkle on top of the muffins.
- Bake at 400F for 15 – 20 minutes.
Makes 12 – 16 muffins.
– Kootenay Co-op Kitchen