Did you know that Spaghetti Squash is a great low carb and gluten-free substitute for regular pasta? It also contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals, lowers cholesterol and is high in fiber, not to mention how tasty it is! Try it yourself with this yummy recipe! Good for the soul and your body 🙂
Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Basil Pesto
1 large or 2 small spaghetti squash
1/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
(or raw walnuts)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
2 cups fresh basil, packed
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes,
chopped (if in oil, drain)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For Serving (optional)
Toasted pine nuts
Red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a large baking sheet with foil.
2. Carefully halve spaghetti squash lengthwise using a sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds and most of
the stringy parts.
3. Brush the interior with oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Place cut-side down on baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes, or until a knife easily pierces the skin and
flesh. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. In the meantime, add cashews, pine nuts, nutritional yeast, and sea salt to a blender or food processor and pulse until a fine meal.
5. Add basil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and olive oil and puree into a fine paste. A bit of texture is a good thing in this dish. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
6. Use a fork to scoop out spaghetti squash into fine strings and divide between serving plates. Top with desired amount of pesto and lightly toss.
7. Serve with additional toppings as desired and enjoy!